Take up the Wesley Challenge and begin the hopeful year of 2021 with Christ.
What is the Wesley Challenge?
The Wesley Challenge is a 21-day practice of asking a question of faith each day. The daily question comes from the 21 questions that John Wesley, the founder of Methodism movement, used with the group nicknamed the Holy Club at Oxford in the 18th century. People of the Holy Club regularly met to study scripture, pray, serve the poor, visit the imprisoned, and engage in other acts of piety and mercy that helped to develop a deeper faith.
The goal of our 2021 Wesley Challenge is to set our first steps in the new year in a direction that leads toward a thriving Christian life in which we engage with God, with ourselves, and with others in a more authentic way.
What are the Questions?
Click the question of the day for a short reading and a prayer (2 minute reading)
- Day 1, Sun, 01/03. Is Jesus real to me?
- Day 2, Mon, 01/04. Am I enjoying prayer?
- Day 3, Tue, 01/05. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
- Day 4, Wed, 01/06. Did the Bible live in me today?
- Day 5, Thur, 01/07. Did I disobey God in anything?
- Day 6, Fri, 01/08. Do I pray about the money I spend?
- Day 7, Sat, 01/09. Do I give time for the Bible to speak to me every day?
- Day 8, Sun, 01/10. Am I proud?
- Day 9, Mon, 01/11. Am I defeated in any part of my life?
- Day 10, Tue, 01/12. Do I go to bed on time and get up on time?
- Day 11, Wed, 01/13. Do I grumble or complain constantly?
- Day 12, Thur, 01/14. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?
- Day 13, Fri, 01/15. How do I spend my spare time?
- Day 14, Sat, 01/16. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
- Day 15, Sun, 01/17. Do I thank God that I am not like others?
- Day 16, Mon, 01/18. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
- Day 17, Tue, 01/19. Do I confidentially pass on to others what was told to me in confidence?
- Day 18, Wed, 01/20. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?
- Day 19, Thu, 01/21. Am I honest in all my actions and words, or do I exaggerate?
- Day 20, Fri, 01/22. Is there anyone who I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold resentment toward, or disregard?
- Day 21, Sat, 01/23. When did I last speak to someone about my faith?
You may download one page of PDF copy that includes the 21 questions here.
The daily reading in those links above are mainly drawn from The Wesley Challenge: 21 Days to a More Authentic Faith, by Rev. Chris Folmsbee.
WEDNESDAYS AT 11:30AM, ON ZOOM.US/J/6170006105
Wesley originally engaged in the questions in a group of Christian brothers and sisters. Our New Year challenge can be best explored in the context of a group. You are invited to a gathering on Zoom, click this link
Every Day at Your Meal Table:
Talk to each other about when you saw someone acting like Jesus, when you witnessed God in creation, when you experienced the love of God or felt the Holy Spirit’s presence during the day. If it is difficult to think of something, consider sharing something you can thank God for specific to that day. Every day, from now until the end of our 21 Day Challenge (or the end of the month), this way, help each other to grow in faith. You may share these aloud each night at the dinner table as a family activity, or write them down in your journal. Either way, be on the look out for “God Sightings” everyday!